SJM maintains a line of work on the southern Spanish border with an office in Melilla, where:
- We offer services of listening, legal accompaniment, protection and defence of rights to migrants and refugees in transit.
- We coordinate the work of human rights observation on both sides of the
- border with the Diocesan Delegation of Migration in Nador.
- We carry out strategic litigation actions, with special relevance to the cases of
- freedom of movement for asylum seekers.
- We organize orientation and identification talks and training workshops for other entities.
Since 2019 SJM has expanded its human rights observation work at the border through its own work on relevant events:
Taking testimony from people who have suffered summary (also called “hot”) returns.
Presence of landings after rescue of boats.
Legal assistance in crisis situations such as fence jumping.